1337 College Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7N, Canada
Reconnu formellement en:
Emmanuel College Chapel 3 from 1911 - 1966
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
1911/01/01 à 1911/12/31
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
Rugby Chapel is a Municipal Heritage Property comprising a parcel of land on the University of Saskatchewan campus adjoining College Drive. It features a wood frame, single-storey chapel constructed in 1911.
Heritage value of Rugby Chapel resides in its association with the history of Anglican education in Saskatchewan, and of the University of Saskatchewan. Constructed after the move of the Anglican Emmanuel College from Prince Albert to Saskatoon in 1908, Rugby Chapel is the first Anglican permanent place of worship built on the campus of the nascent University of Saskatchewan. Built with funds raised by students in Rugby, England, the chapel has served the needs of the Anglican community on campus for 54 years, gradually becoming a repository for religious artifacts associated with the Anglican tradition in Canada.
Heritage value also lies in the chapel’s architecture and its historical integrity. Built in the Gothic Revival architectural style, it resembles the design of many English stone-built churches featuring a Norman tower with parapet, tracery and stained glass windows and exposed rafters. It is one of the few remaining Anglican places of worship in Saskatoon that is constructed of wood and one of the few wooden buildings still remaining on the grounds of the University of Saskatchewan. Its interior and exterior have remained virtually unchanged since its construction.
City of Saskatoon Bylaw No. 6807.
The heritage value of Rugby Chapel resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements reflecting the Chapel’s association with the history of Anglican education and the University of Saskatchewan, especially its placement on its original site;
-those elements reflecting the Chapel’s Gothic Revival architecture, such as its tower, window design, the cruciform layout of its interior, its vaulted ceiling and its Emmaus stained glass window;
-those elements reflecting the Chapel’s historical integrity, such as its wood frame construction, particularly the hand-hewn beams, the wainscoting, wood panelled ceiling, exposed timbers, hardwood flooring and the central stained glass window.
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Sask.)
Heritage Property Act, alinéa 11(1)(a)
Type de reconnaissance
Bien patrimonial municipal
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
- La philosophie et la spiritualité
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Religion, rituel et funéraille
- Centre religieux ou lieu de culte
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
City of Saskatoon
Community Services Department
Development Services Branch
222 - 3rd Avenue North
SASKATOON SK S7K 0J5
Réfère à une collection