Middle Island Hospital
34 Manse Street, Miramichi, New Brunswick, E1N, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Middle Island Hospital is a one and a half storey structure built for the quarantine station at Middle Island. It has been moved to Manse Street in the former Village of Loggieville, now known as the City of Miramichi.
Middle Island Hospital is designated a Local Historic Place for its association with immigration via the Port of Miramichi in the 19th century.
Middle Island Hospital was one of two buildings constructed in 1873 to replace the abandoned quarantine station at nearby Sheldrake Island used in the 1850's-1860's. Middle Island had been a quarantine station prior to the construction of the hospital in the 1840's when many Irish immigrants took passage in often deplorable ship conditions, including the 'coffin ship' Looshtauk infected with ship fever. By 1936, the hospitals were considered unwarranted given nearby hospitals were quite able to handle quarantine situations and conditions on ships had greatly improved. In 1948, the Middle Island Hospital was sold and transported to Manse Street in the former village of Logieville over the river ice.
Source: Heritage office, City of Miramichi Site File #05-55
The character-defining elements of the Middle Island Hospital include:
-one and a half storey of plank construction with a jerkin roof;
-mortice and tenon and wooden pegs utilized in construction;
-insulated with wood chips.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
1948/01/01 to 1948/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
- Migration and Immigration
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Health and Research
- Hospital or Other Health Care Institution
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Miramichi
Cross-Reference to Collection