Home / Accueil

Northport Rear Range Lighthouse

224 Rte. 152, Northport, Prince Edward Island, C0B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2016/07/25

Front elevation; Province of PEI, C. Stewart, 2014
Front elevation
Detail; Province of PEI, C. Stewart, 2014
Detail
P. Foley, 2015; P. Foley, 2015
Northport Rear Range Lighthouse

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1885/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2016/11/01

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Northport Rear Range Lighthouse is a square tapered tower, clad in wood shingles, located next to the Northport Community Centre overlooking Northport Harbour and Cascumpec Bay, in Northport, Prince Edward Island.

Heritage Value

The Northport Rear Range Lighthouse is valued for its associations with the marine and navigational history of the area, for its contributions to the landscape and its importance to its community as a visual landmark.

Constructed in 1885 by builder James Keefe, the Northport Rear Range Lighthouse was based on a Department of Marine and Fisheries design. Originally built as one of a pair of open frame range lights, the lighthouse was originally used as the Front Range Light. It was enclosed in 1903. In 1962, when a new lighthouse was built, this lighthouse, formerly the Front Range Lighthouse was moved to become the back or Rear Range Light. Extra height was added to the original construction in 1887 (3.3 metres) and an additional 1.8 metres was added in 1970. The light has been moved a number of times over the years to align with the shifting channel.

The original back or rear range lighthouse was sold, moved nearby and refurbished as a private residence.

The Northport Range lights guided mariners into Cascumpec Harbour around Savage Island where range lights were also installed along with the main Cascumpec Lighthouse. Some of the lighthouse keepers over the years included: John Mountain (1885-1897), B. Mountain (1912-1914), W.A. Smith (1914-1923, and possibly longer), Joseph Perry (1926-1948), Lemuel Arsenault (1948) and James Andrew Gallant (1948-1961).

The Northport Rear Range Lighthouse is located on property owned by the community of Northport. The community has assumed ownership of the lighthouse which was designated in 2015 under the federal Heritage Lighthouses Protection Act.

The Northport Rear Range Lighthouse continues to be an important visual and cultural landmark in its community.

Source : Heritage Places files, Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
File # : 4310-20/N8

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the lighthouse is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the square tapered tower, in simple unadorned design
- the cedar shingle cladding, painted white with red trim
- the placement of the door with shed dormer
- the wooden lantern platform with iron railing
- the lantern housing
- the size and placement of the multi-paned windows in the lantern gallery
- the setting of the lighthouse overlooking Northport Harbour

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date

2016/07/25

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Communications and Transportation

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Transport-Water
Navigational Aid or Lighthouse

Architect / Designer

Dept of Marine and Fisheries

Builder

James Keefe

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Source : Heritage Places files, Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island File # : 4310-20/N8

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

4310-20/N8

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places