Beaumont Knitting Mill
586, Main, Town of Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
Beaumont Knitting Mill
586 Main Street
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Beaumont Knitting Mill, located at 586 Main Street, is on the west side of Main Street, north of Joseph Street, in Glen Williams, Town of Halton Hills. The three storey stone mill was established in 1878 with several later additions.
The property was designated by the Town of Halton Hills in 1990 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 1990-0045).
The Beaumont Knitting Mill was established by James Leslie, whose family was among the earliest settlers in the Glen Williams area. It is also associated with Samuel Beaumont, a father of industry in Glen Williams who began to manufacture woollen goods at the Beaumont Knitting Mill in 1878. He made several additions to the mill over the years including a one-and-a-half-storey stone addition that fronts Main Street, which was added circa 1880.
The Beaumont Knitting Mill is the oldest remaining mill in Glen Williams. It is an example of the industrial style building common in small Ontario towns in the 19th century. Typical of this type of structure are the mill's coursed rubble limestone construction, symmetrical composition and mansard roof with dormers. The additions to the building reflect the evolution of industrial activities at the mill over time.
Source: Town of Halton Hills, By-law 1990-0045.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Beaumont Knitting Mill include its:
- three storey coursed rubble limestone exterior
- four sided mansard roof
- projected eaves
- double hung 2 over 2 windows
- limestone lintels and sills
- circa 1880 one-and-a-half-storey stone addition
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
- Textile or Leather Manufacturing Facility
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
The Corporation of the Town of Halton Hills
Corporate Services Department - Clerks
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON
Cross-Reference to Collection