Church of Our Lord
626 Blanshard Street, Victoria, British Columbia, V8W, Canada
Church of Our Lord
Cridge Memorial Hall
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Church of Our Lord is a Carpenter Gothic style wooden church with a separate annex called the Cridge Memorial Hall, located on the corner of Humbolt and Blanshard Streets.
The Church of Our Lord is a testament to the founding of the Reformed Episcopal Church in Canada, one of the pioneering religious denominations in the City of Victoria. It is notable that this church was founded by Reverend Edward Cridge, the first Bishop of the Reformed Episcopal Church in Canada and an instrumental figure in the city's religious growth since 1855. Established in 1874 under the auspices of the Church Missionary Society of England, and connected to the Reformed Episcopal Church of the United States, the presence of the Reformed Episcopal Church on the Canadian west coast indicates the early growth of this denomination in North America. Built in 1876, subsequent to a schism of the nearby Anglican Church of England, this church is representative of the early religious diversification of Victoria.
The Church of our Lord is also valued for its atypical architectural style and is the oldest church in Victoria. Designed by architect John Teague, its simplistic vertical lines, steep gable roof, and board-and-batten siding distinguish it from the elaborate masonry churches nearby. The wood form of the Carpenter Gothic style is an excellent example of the adaptation of the classic Gothic style to suit local building materials. In keeping with the beliefs of religious revivals, this style was used for churches across North America. Located on property donated by James Douglas, this freestanding building is one of the few remaining wooden structures of this style and era intact in BC. It is a significant historic landmark on the outskirts of the Old Town District.
Additionally, the replacement of an original Sunday School annex by the Cridge Memorial Hall (1929), designed by notable architects Samuel Maclure and Hubert Savage, reflects the continued growth of the church's congregation.
Source: City of Victoria Planning & Development Department
The character defining elements of the Church of Our Lord include:
- the prominent location of this free-standing building at the corner of Blanshard and Humbolt Streets
- the Carpenter Gothic style elements which act as distinguishing features, such as the board-and-batten siding, vertical buttress piers, bell tower, rose window, and steep gable roof
- key interior features relating to John Teague's design, found in spatial configurations, pointed-arch windows, leaded and stained glass windows, decorative elements, hammer beam ceiling, authentic woodwork and paneling
- the Cridge Memorial Hall, with design details reflective of the church
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.967
1929/01/01 to 1930/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Victoria Planning & Development Department
Cross-Reference to Collection