19R River Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5A, Canada
Links and documents
1876/01/01 to 1877/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The 3-storey, brick, Lager Brewery building of the former Don Brewery in Toronto was built in 1876-1877 and is recognized for its heritage value by City of Toronto Bylaw 1966-0255.
The Lager building of the former Don Brewery complex has heritage value as likely the oldest remaining brewery structure in Toronto. It also has value in its association with a prominent 19th century Toronto family, the Davies.
Thomas Davies leased the Don Brewery in 1848 from William and Robert Parks and operated it with his son, Thomas, Jr. Thomas died in 1869, and Thomas, Jr., was joined by his brother Robert in 1871. Robert founded the Dominion Brewery in 1878. Thomas, Jr.,was also a member of Toronto City Council.
The 3-storey, red and buff coloured brick, Lager building was erected in 1876-1877 to the designs of Toronto architects Smith and Gemmell. It was positioned at the rear of the lot, south of the main brewery building, to draw water from the Don River for its brewing and malting business. It was enlarged about 1880 by a west wing. Source: City of Toronto Bylaw 1996-0255 and accompanying research report.
The heritage value is contained in those elements that relate to its construction as a 19th century industrial structure including:
- round-headed window openings
- red and buff brickwork with detailing including pilasters rising to cornice level, and corbelling
- relationship to the Don River and other elements of the setting that may relate to the brewery function
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Food and Beverage Manufacturing Facility
Architect / Designer
Smith and Gemmell
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Toronto Preservation Services, Toronto City Hall
Cross-Reference to Collection